Monday, November 4, 2013

I know you from....

Hello All



I saw a woman in a store and I knew she looked familiar, but I just couldn't remember where I had seen her. Had we met through a mutual friend? Was she an old school mate? Where did this woman make an appearance in my life? And then it hit me, "I knew her from Instagram." I struggled with what I should do with my new found information. Should I approach her, introduce myself and thank her for following me, or would that just be too weird. Perhaps I was wrong, maybe she only resembled the woman on Instagram. What added to my apprehension in approaching her is that I recognized her while she was at her place of employment, a place never mentioned in any of her posts. I didn't want her to feel as if I was invading a part of her life which she had not made public. So there I stood, motionless, as I grappled with how to address this situation.
Social networking is so often used as a tool to bring people together to share information, but it's also a means of escape for others. Some use social networking sites like Twitter, Instagram and Facebook merely to vent, seek encouragement or catch a glimpse into the lives of others. Despite our varied uses of social networking platforms, I think many of us can agree that social networking has in some ways altered interactions between humans. In years past had I come across someone who seemed familiar it's likely that I would have asked that person a direct question, hoping they remembered me too.
In the end,  I didn't say hello to her and I believe my opportunity was missed, because I haven't seen her since. Have you every introduced yourself to someone you only knew online? Do tell :-)
P.S. If you see me, do say hello, unless I look a mess then please wash that image out of your head and continue to watch my Youtube videos.....lol. Kidding....kind of.
Thanks for reading
Pjd

1 comment:

nappy headed black girl said...

Aw, man, I would love to see a YouTube or blog celebrity in person. It would be like meeting a celebrity lol

I think most people who are big online would probably be cool with it in person.

I'm not big at all, so if someone recognized me I'd be over the moon. And of course I would have to take a pic to post online :-)