Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just Wright- Not a spoiler




If you didn't already see the film Just Wright, I encourage you to check it out as soon as possible. I am so disappointed that it came in fourth in the box office last weekend. The movie made me think of Love and Basketball so if you enjoyed that movie you will likely enjoy Just Wright too.
I don't want to spoil this for those of you who did not see the film so you can read this review if you would like but don't read the comment section. I imagine some people will be more specific in the comment area- you have been warned :-).
I thought there were a few parts that could have been expanded just a tad like Latifah's relationship with her mother. At some point in the movie, I was waiting for a big Love and Basketball,"I'll play you for your HEART" type of moment and I didn't quite get it, but overall it was a nice film and I will definitely DVD it.
The Commercial
1)On the commercial for the movie, there is a scene where Latifah throws ice on Common and he jumps up and says "Ok, Ok". Even from the commercial it didn't seem real, I felt like someone should have yelled cut until Common did that line properly.
2)Latifah in the commercial attempts to do the flirty cute girl thing as Common reaches around her to get a cookie.-NOT BELIEVABLE. She just always looked like she could put Common in a choke hold at any moment. Whenever I felt that Common had been matched up with an actress that could kick his butt, I had to remember art was just imitating life..lol Ok Ok I'm done, i just needed to get that out of my system.
Side note-Perhaps I was the only person who didn't know this but Common and Serena have a 10 year age difference. He is 38 while Serena is 28....ok that's all I wanted to say back to the movie review.
I think Latifah looked natural and lovely throughout the movie. Paula Patton also looked lovely along with Phylicia Rashad. The verdict is still out on Pam Grier. Common is not my version of handsome but there were a few brief moments where I kinda somewhat thought he was ok.
For those who saw the movie feel free to get more specific in the comment section. What did you think of the movie, any highlights? Any low points?

6 comments:

Lee said...

Hey PJD,
Cute movie. Not perfect but entertaining.It was a bit predictable/cliche , but I am just so glad to see a positive Black love story, I won't complain too much. Interestingly, I liked everyone's performance except Common. I thought he was just Ok. I like him as a person and rapper (Chi-town native myself), but the acting needs a little more work. I agree with you as far as the cookie scene. Not Love JOnes level, but again cute.

Mrs Count said...

I saw it yesterday. I enjoyed it. I wanted somebody else to play common's part, but I didn't hate the way he played it. My mom kept yelling at the screen cuz Paula Patton's character was making her mad (we were the only people in the theatre).

yummy411 said...

hey diva, hopefully i'll finally be able to see this this weekend!

Product Junkie Diva said...

Thanks for reading ladies!
PJD

justme said...

i finally saw just wright. it was a cute movie. a light little love story. i didnt think latifah and common had chemistry. he was also lookin a little skinny, LOL. i think just like the other ladies, he looks better being himself, the sports star role didnt fit him

Product Junkie Diva said...

JustMe- I'm glad you got to see it. Yes you're right there was no real chemistry between the two but cute movie...
PJD