Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's the BALM...Kind Of

The Good
If you are looking for a hair product that will tame frizzy hair and will also add a little shine, then you may want to check out this product from Phytospecific. The Phytospecific moisturizing styling balm, is a Quinoa oil infused moisturizer that also gives your hair a little hold. Quinoa oil is held in high regard for it's rich protein base, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. This product is a bit thick so I would suggest that you apply only a small amount to your hair. Some people have reported that this styling balm is great when it comes to reducing split ends and to that I say, obviously if your hair can not really move then how can it split??? I do not use this product frequently but when my hair really needs to stay put, this is one of the products I use.Well that's the good part now for the bad......

The Bad
This product contains the dreaded mineral oil. If you don't know much about mineral oil just know that I like to refer to it as the hair growth inhibitor. Mineral oil is basically liquid petroleum which can easily clog your pores and make it difficult for your hair to push through your scalp. This product also has the potential to make your hair a little stiff which is another reason why I would suggest using it in small amounts.
I have heard that some people love mineral oil and they don't mind using it but I am not one of those people. This product gets a free pass because it does contain Quinoa oil and other natural ingredients. It basically serves a purpose but you have to know your hair and whether or not it will work for you.
My Recommendation: Get a free sample of this product from Sephora and give it a test run on your hair before making this purchase.
This product is sold at Sephora and on various web sites for $24.

No comments: