Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Acid doesn't like me!!!!

I was so happy when I first purchased DDF (Doctors Dermatologic Formula) Glycolic Exfoliating Wash. This product is described as a 7% glycolic acid wash cleanser that will smooth out your skin and prevent breakouts. Let me preface this little story by telling you that I am an idiot, now that we have that out of the way….. I purchased this acidic cleanser in an attempt to remove any dead skin cells and to banish any blemish that even thought about taking up residence on my face.
So there I stood in front of my bathroom sink, beginning and ending each day by cleansing my skin with my new facial wash. I have to tell you that during my period of using this product, bumps were HISTORY….do you hear me???? Not one blemish could be found on my face. However, when I noticed that my skin began to feel a little tighter than usual, I used the product less frequently but I never completely stopped using it. The tight skin then turned into itching skin, which progressed to dry skin and then PEELING skin. Yes ladies my skin was literally peeling. I didn’t have any bumps because the glycolic acid was literally tearing my skin to pieces. The product that promises glowing skin left me with a dry dull peeling Face. I was mortified and I had to leave my house armed with Vaseline to combat the dryness and flaking that my skin had become accustomed to. Of course I stopped using this product once the itching began but it continued to worsen and it progressed all the way to full blown peeling. It took about a month and a half to get my skin back in shape. I guess I learned that acid should not go on my face!!!! I hated this company and I never wanted to use another product from this dreadful organization….well until recently when I tried their latest moisturizer….lol
Regarding this $32.00 facial cleanser I say "SKIP IT".
Which facial cleansers put your face through the ringer????

6 comments:

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Wow, I guess great minds think alike! We both did posts on facial cleansers today. :-)

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with this product.

Thanks for the heads-up -- I WILL NOT BE GIVING THIS ONE A TRY!!!

Good review!

Anonymous said...

Hey BGG,
I agree!!!!
I checked out your site today also...I like what you have going on over there :-).
Product Junkie Diva

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,

Be careful with your skin. I say find a dermatologist who can make a good suggestion.

Thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Frugalista,
You are right I need to be very careful with my skin, we all do.
I think I am at peace with Rx for Brown skin which I blogged about in a previous post, but a product junkie is never really done..lol
Product Junkie Diva

Anonymous said...

From what I hear, ethnic skin and glycolic acid do not mix well together. I've noticed that if I use any product with glycolic, my skin immediately alerts me to STOP.

Product Junkie Diva said...

@Jewells- that explains it..LOL thanks
Product Junkie Diva