Friday, July 18, 2008

Got Aloe?


(you can click on the picture to take a closer look at this product)
I remember as a kid trying to slather as much aloe vera on my hair as possible once a dear family friend, whose hair is GORGEOUS, told me that she uses it on her hair. As the years passed by I moved on to other ingredients and products but recently I have been reminded of the many benefits of aloe vera from posts by Tracyee and Antithesis.
Tracyee created her own moisturizing spray out of aloe vera and other ingredients( you will find the recipie when you click the link). I wanted to try out her spray but my rose water did not arrive yet so I decided to play around with the aloe vera liquid. Indeed my hair was moisturized when I applied it to my hair. After putting some of the aloe vera in a spray bottle I added a tiny bit of water and sprayed it on my scalp and hair. On some days I mixed it with other moisturizers that I like, and my hair felt wonderful for days. I am thrilled that I am back to using this natural ingredient on my hair.
Aloe vera contains an enzyme that is necessary for the production of new hair. If you read Tracyee's post, you will find out many other benefits of using aloe vera.
I purchase George's Aloe Vera which is 100% fractionally distilled aloe vera. Adults can also drink their way to health by drinking 2 ounces twice daily. The particular brand that I selected is bitter free and has no preservatives or additives. Another positive note for George's aloe vera is that it does not have to be refrigerated.
Apparently all aloe vera is not the same and when the people behind George's aloe vera went to Mexico they noticed that the roadrunner bird would only drink from a certain type of aloe vera so that is what they used to make this bottled version.
I purchased my aloe vera from the health food store for $9.19
Are you using pure aloe vera for your hair ? Please share your recipes.
Have a great weekend everyone.

10 comments:

B said...

I loooove Aloe! I also grew up on this. My Mother has the plants and she made hair slickers, fash washes and body products using aloe. Love it!

B said...

Opps. I meant "face".

Can't spell today. :)

For those of us who suffer from dermatitis (oh wait...is that just me?) from time to time, aloe extracted from the plant and slathered on the skin is sooo cooling and feels good against that burn that dermatitis sometimes brings.

MakeupByRenRen said...

oh wow...i'm loving this idea...i'm trying to use more natural products on my hair too...this is going on the list! so you just put it in a spray bottle and spritz it on your head and rub into scalp?

Amina said...

I should try pure aloe on my hair..
one summer, i used to put some in my spray bottle but didn't see spectacular results
however for burns and cuts, aloe is the truth!!

Anonymous said...

Girl, don't make me go out and get some aloe vera. I just got a heafty clip of my ends yesterday (decided to go the professional route this time) and my hair feels great. I want to preserve that greatness by spraying something on my hair other than conditioner water.

I wonder if they sell George's at Whole Foods. It seems like a brand that would be my best bargain.

Anonymous said...

Just went to their site and see they have two places in Charleston that sells it. I'm on my way right now.

Thanks, PJD!

brownee said...

Yet another MUST TRY!

Diva, you are not a good friend to have in this economy. Lol

Product Junkie Diva said...

@B buying aloe is a great way to get spend a little and get a lot because you can make so many different products. I know you are not the only one with dermatitis girl. I used it for a cut many moons ago but I can remember that it worked well.
@RenRen with your hair texture I wonder how well it would work. You have beautiful hair but I should warn you that the consistency of this product is like water so think of how it would look if you were to squirt water on your hair. Maybe at night when you are going to bed it would work well. If you tell me what you are trying to get your hair to do perhaps I can recommend and even better product for you. :-) thanks for reading renren.
@Amina yes aloe works well for burns. Humm if you didn't see great results before, i am sure there is someting that will work better for you.
@Jewells you are too funny. please let me know how it works for you..
@Brownne I'm doing my best to introduce the cheap products :-) lol I have some other items in store so hold on to your hat..LOL
Product Junkie Diva

sophiebutterscotch said...

I use aloe vera in my hair to keep it sraight (it works so so well!!) I use it from the many aloe vera plants that i have :)

Product Junkie Diva said...

@sophiebutterscotch (love hte name by the way) I used to use the plants long ago and it was great but now I just use the juice.
It works well also.
Thanks for reading
PJD