Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Promise of SUPER Shiny Hair

(click to enlarge the photo)
Paraben- a chemical compound used as a preservative in many cosmetics and hair products. It has been linked to cancer through several studies. In one study 18 out of 20 tumors contained parabens. Researchers dug further to discover that the parabens “originated from something applied to the skin”.
I have made a conscience decision to stay away from parabens as much as possible. Although I still have some products with parabens, if the paraben is way down on the ingredients list I feel a little better. Parabens can also be found in loads of cosmetics, I am sure I am consuming parabens in one form or another just because of the high frequency of paraben usage by companies, so I am trying to do as much as possible to protect myself.
You may have noticed that companies like Burts Bees and Carols Daughter often publicize that their products are paraben free, because as people become informed they are moving away from this preservative. Although alternative preservatives exist parabens seem to be preferred for some reason. I once read (sorry I don’t have the source) that parabens are cheap and that is why they are used so often.
While on my no paraben kick I decided to try the Burt’s Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet shampoo and conditioner for $7.99 each. The shampoo alone contains coconut, grapefruit and sugar beet extract, soy protein, honey, lemons, oranges and limes. I felt like I was walking down the aisle of a health food store after reading those lovely ingredients. I must admit I had images of shiny locks flowing through my head so I couldn’t wait to test out this inexpensive and sulfate free solution. I slathered on the shampoo and the product itself was glistening as I rubbed it through my hair, each strand seemed to be covered with this beautiful shiny coat.
After I washed it out and my hair dried, I wondered if my hair could have looked any more dull and dusty. It seemed to have sucked the life right out of each strand leaving my hair begging for moisture. Even though this product is 98.80% natural my hair felt like hay, looked like hay and if a horse had been in the vicinity I am sure he would have validated my claims by going in for a nibble. It actually did the complete opposite of what it promised.
This product is so very deserving of being thrown into the deep dark abyss of the “Skip IT” files.
Did you ever experience great results after using the Burt's Bees Hair line? Have you encountered any natural products that just don't work for you?

13 comments:

beautylogicblog said...

I've never used this line before, but one of my friends tried their avocado deep conditioner and said the results were not good. Hugs, DE

Just_Wondering said...

Thanks for the much needed info about parabens! It was a rude awakening for me but I think it's best to be informed so we could make necessary chances. As for burts bees, I have never used their shampoo and conditioner however as DominicanE stated I've heard the avocado deep conditioner is great!

Phyllis Bourne said...

Thanks for the tip on this one.

I haven't tried it, but have been soooo tempted when I see it at the grocery store. Not I know to walk right on by.

Anonymous said...

Yikes. Parabens are awful. Thanks so much for the post. As for Burt, later for him!

antithesis said...

i have been curious about this line as well. i see that it is most likely not for me. i went through my entire hair product collection and everything i hate and everything i love has parabens! im so disheartened. luckily the ones i love have it at the very bottom of the list.

B said...

Whaaat? Boo to you, Burts. I haven't heard much about parabens, but thanks for the knowledge, sista.

Amina said...

Thank you for your review. I've always wanted to try Burts'Bees shampoo and condish.. I guess I'll pass.

Anonymous said...

I've never tried the shampoo or conditioner. I just tried their lotion and I hate it. It's too viscous (or something) for me. I guess that's because the second ingredient is sunflower seed oil or somesuch. I'm hesitant to throw it out though because a) it cost me $9 and b) it does a pretty good job of moisturizing. I just don't like the way it goes on.

Anonymous said...

Parabens are bad, bad and badder. I have used burt's bees and I like most of their products because I recently learned the evils of parabens. I have used many shampoos and conditioners who claim to make your hair shiny but I find with relaxed hair, after you wash, set and dry, you always have to put some oils or moisturizer in it so I just stick to coconut oil for shine.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you decided to post about Burts Bee's! I love Burts Bee's products! I have their more moisture shampoo and their color keeper shampoo and conditioner set. It gives my hair great body and it feels great knowing that most of their products are close to being 100% all natural. I never worry about my hair being shiny b/c honestly the hair oils take care of that...especially coconut oil it makes my hair SUPER SHINY! I also like this other hair oil by Cantu Shea Butter Natural Olive Oil. I also have Burts Bee's avocado butter pre-wash treatmemnt and their shea butter and grapefruit deep conditioner. I also LOVEEEE their beeswax lip balm which contains coconut oil, peppermint oil, sunflower oil and other great ingredients my lips are never chapped! I am also VERY aware of parabens now its so important to read that ingredient list!

--Bellefille84

Product Junkie Diva said...

@DE I have read other reviews where people were not happy with the results.
@Just WonderingI am here to help:-)
I've never tried the avocado product but i have seen it...hey I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes so you may very well see a review on it in the future..lol
@PBW lol not a problem. But since things work differently on different people, I would be very curious to see how this product works for you.
@Frugalista I see Burt won't get the time of day from you..lol
@Antithesis parabens are everywhere so don't feel too bad, they even appear in makeup and realistically how many of us read the list of ingredients on makeup...
@Divineblackness glad I could help.
@Nywele I would love you know how this product works on a natural...if you ever decide to give it a try please let me know.
@Savvy..lol at lotion being visious well you can always use it on your feet at night.
@Anonymous, I can honestly say that even though I am relaxed and I air dry I do get shine from Ojon ultra hydrating conditioner and the Aveda Damage rememdy line, but coconut oil ROCKS!!!!
@Bellefille I enjoy my tingly burts bees lip gloss! I am glad you will be reading that label.
Thanks for reading.
Product Junkie Diva

Unknown said...

I love the Burt's Bees shiny grapefruit shampoo and the conditioner. Leaves my hair clean, shiny and not greasy. Even if you do not like these products, I would advise using them until you find another paraben-free, sulfate-free product that you do like.

Product Junkie Diva said...

@Emerald thanks yes I was already using other paraben free products I just wanted to try something new but it didn't work out :-(. I'm glad it works for you though.
PJD